Caught in the thunderstorm

Back in Ontario. That was quick. Ottawa to London...that's all that's left. Of course I don't have a set plan yet. I'm thinking maybe a slight detour to visit some old family homes and grave sites. Not a very cheery idea, but something I've been avoiding for quite a while. That will all get figured out in the next couple of days. As for today...it was great to get back on the bike after a couple of days in a car. Couldn't bend over to put on my shorts this morning....really!!! The back was all seized up..Never had that problem when I was biking...but then again I hadn't changed my shorts in 3 weeks.....just kidding ....I know I've changed them multiple times. And the bike ride was awesome. Wind at my back. Super flat countryside....maybe even a little downhill.Never got out of the big chain ring.....never even thought about it. Probably the highest average speed...about 25.5....that's quick for me and my trailer. 156km. But my good luck took a bit of a hit. Had my campsite picked out. 15k from a little town. Knew the little town would be my last chance for real food if they happened to have any place. They actually had a Subway...so stopped in for 20 minutes to eat and catch up on my iPad. And that 20 minutes cost me because 10 minutes from the campsite the thundershowers hit...and boy did they hit. Started with some really light rain which wasn't any trouble. Then lightening kicked in and some thunder and then looking down the road you could see the wall of water coming. I pulled off and hid under some trees....not the smartest thing to do in a thunderstorm....but it was pouring. Cars were pulling off the road and stopping but no one was inviting me to join them in their car. I wouldn't have let me in either. While my thunderstorm in Vermont had the most lightening ever...this storm had two of the sharpest cracks of thunder I've ever heard. Totally soaked after about 20 minutes the storm let up a bit and I raced for the campsite. Yup....about 10 minutes. And they had a pavilion that they let bikers set up in so they could stay dry if it rained. Oh well. I set up in the pavilion and hung up all my wet stuff and didn't have to worry if more storms roll in during the night.
So. A bit of bad luck, but still a great day. Lots of km's. Feeling better than those car days. Great campsite. And a pretty straightforward day tomorrow into the Peterborough area. Then I'll have to figure out the last 3 or 4 days of my tour. Can't believe it's almost over.

Sent from my iPad

Comments

  1. It's so amazing to read about your adventures! Almost there, good luck with the last part! In Holland we use to say "de laatste loodjes wegen het zwaarst" (means: the last bit is the hardest), but I'm sure you'll be fine! :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment