Tall ships vs bike tour


Haven't talked about any people I've met on my tour. I've had a lot of short chats with a lot of people...probably 50 or 60, and those were just for directions. Strangely enough I hadn't talked to anyone who had come farther than me....until today. I was just sitting on a rock on the mud flats at Blomidon watching the tide creep up the beach. Four young women asked me to take their picture. I'd noticed them before when they were first making their way down to the water. They were taking pictures of each other doing the plank...in the mud!! I was impressed. Of course I agreed to take their picture and we started to chat. Three of the girls were off a tall ship that was currently docked in Halifax. They were from Latvia!!!  The fourth was their liaison person in Halifax. So much for my 'incredible' bike tour. They kind of topped me on the adventure side of things. Their boat had started in Portugal I think. One of the girls joined the crew in Boston. One had just joined in Quebec City and I'm not sure of the third...she may have been an original crew member. Their next stop....France!!!  Very awesome. I told them I wanted to do it and they said they take people of all ages. Wish I had the nerve and the confidence of these young women when I was young. Totally impressed. The liaison lady was originally from Russia and volunteers to help with the different crews and ships. She helped me with the names of the girls. I think they have been anglicized and my iPad kept spell checking them. I have the names as Laura, Lisa, Ieva, and Marina the volunteer liaison. I hope if they see this they will add a comment correcting the names. Can you imagine heading across the ocean on a tall ship? Good luck ladies.....and who wants to sign up with me for a future voyage?


Comments

  1. We were happy to meet you Bill!
    Yacht "Spaniel" from Latvia crossing Atlantic on her way to La Havre and to home city Riga

    ReplyDelete
  2. The names of the girls you spelled properly

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment