Halifax, take two......my new ride




Tough leaving Blomidon. Great time there. Relaxing and scenic. But time to head back to Halifax for my rendezvous with my new ride. Trip to Halifax was uneventful and pretty quick. The speed was all due to the first 2km. Remember that hill? 65 kph and I was braking most of the way. I could have coasted to Halifax. Another reason for the speed was that my scenic route #1 kept disappearing and dumping me onto the highway. Totally legal I think, but I'd get off the highway as soon as I saw an exit showing #1 East. And I got lucky finding a shortcut not on my map. I figured there would be one so stopped at a car rental place to ask. They had no idea.....no map of the area...no knowledge of the area. Went another 3 or 4 k and stopped at an Enterprise Car Rental place. No maps but the guy there actually knew something about the area. He sent me back about 1k to a road that cut off a big chunk of riding. He was even able to tell me which way to turn once I got to the road I was trying to hit. Yeah Enterprise!!
So now I'm back at my sister's. Well fed (Dirk's chicken parmigiana, Apple pie and ice cream, and Coke), a warm shower, clothes washed, soft bed, and MY NEW RIDE. My little wander through Nova Scotia this past week was because I am able to help deliver a car from Halifax to Ottawa. So instead of 7 days biking towards London I got to visit all those places last week. And now back in Halifax I trade in my bike and trailer for an Audi Q5!!!! Not a bad trade at all. I've already asked what might happen if I somehow forget to drop it off in Ottawa. The answer had something to do with tracking me down and a bunch of other things. I got lessons tonight on the Nav system, the media menu, climate control, front and rear collision warnings, sun roof stuff..I'm so in over my head with this car. Thank goodness it does a lot of stuff on its own...like the wipers and headlights. I'm so confused. I know I'm going to end up handing the car off with about 37 different warning bells an whistles going off. And this is their 'old' car. Their new one has even more technology. Apparently you can drive it without having to touch the brakes of accelerator. I know I'm going to have fun driving the Audi, but I think I'll be happy to get back on my bike in Ottawa to finish my tour.
Two days to Ottawa. Then 4 or 5 days to London.  It will definitely be a 'destination' ride to London. We'll see if I can keep the daily kilometres to something reasonable. Already thinking that three 200km days would get me there. And then once in London it will be over. The end is kind of coming into view. Bike is still doing awesome. Trailer is a real trooper. And I'm doing OK. Luck has been on my side so many times.....I may actually want to do something like this again.....

Comments

  1. Glad to here you're having a great time. And nice car. Don't let me drive one of those, it's the Jason Stathom car... car chase and all. Safe driving (gee, did I wish you safe riding?).

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment