Day 8....New Hampshire

130k. Started at Woodford State Park Vermont and ended at Oxbow Campground in New Hampshire.
My pack is a few pound heavier. Massive thunder and lightening storm last night. Pretty cool actually. Don't know if I've ever seen that much lightening. Full marks to the little Spark 1. A lot af dirt splatter gets under the rain fly but I was dry and comfortable. Everything else was under my tarp and nice and dry too. But the tarp and tent were both wet when packed and heavy. The tarp was one of the things I was considering cutting to get the weight down. Won't think that again. The tarp has been up every night just to keep everything covered from rain and dew.
Started in the rain. Finished in crazy heat and sun. Not a ride for the weary....ie me!!! Who the heck built highway nine across Vermont. Should look the guy up. Whoever it was must have started his career designing roller coasters or if #9 was his first job then I'm sure he went into roller coasters next. I went from granny granny gear at about a new low of 7k/h to just slightly out of control at 60+.....and then did it again and again and again....you get the idea. What a ride. Not sure how panniers react at 60+ but BOB at 60 and 30 pounds is awesome. And while I downgraded my bike because of a couple of flats I might have to upgrade it a bit because the tires worked great at 60+, wet roads, narrow shoulders, and flying trucks.
Bad stuff was another flat but my patches are holding and just a minor hiccup.
There wasn't a McDonalds in sight in Brattleboro so had to go to a donut shop and the sit outside a closed Wendy's to get the Internet.
My first no plan day actually worked out. Stopped for lunch at a little store and ended up talking to two guys doing service stuff for the state. Got all my plans from them....so that's my new plan. Find a local lunch spot about 12:30 and find some service guys having lunch and chat them up. I've got a great campsite tonight and I have a McDonalds at km 3 in the morning. No smooth peanut butter on the finger tomorrow morning. Three sausage and egg McMuffins and bottomless Coke.
I'm also a little worried about my return. While the hills were deadly going up, it sure seemed like the downhills were really long and steeper. Going to have to look at the elevation profile.
Still can't figure out pictures. Was going to send a picture of the sign for a town called Schaghtcoke. People wonder what you do when you ride for 6 or 7 hours a day. Well I guess trying not to get lost is number 1, but I also find myself looking at signs and thinking different things about them....like Schaghtcoke. Decided that that was what I probably would sound like if delirious. You might have to know me to figure that one out. Another sign said 'HAY'. So I figured it was talking to me...so I said  " What?". It still just said "HAY". So I say "What?" Again. That can amuse me for a couple of miles. Getting the idea I really have gone crazy. Last example is Harmony Corners. Again I assumed the sign was talking to me and my answer was " 4, and that's some accent you have". 8 days gone and a lot of my sanity. But things are good. Don't think I'm quite into Maine tomorrow but should be close...depends what my lunch mates have to tell me. Portland is well within range and then decision time....ferry, up the coast, head home.....


Comments