Day 11 - a large day




This was a day that I'd describe as a keyboard day vs my current hunt and peck. There was just a lot going on. First of all it was a large day. According to a couple of my Newfie and maritime buddies that means it was a gorgeous day. And that's the extent of my maritime vocabulary and is he reason I didn't ask directions from a couple of locals a McDonalds (where else would I be). Just before asking them I listened to a bit of their conversation. Didn't understand a thing they said. So I was on my own and we know where that is going to lead. Directions were pretty simple. Go straight up the road and take the second turn for the 103. Well, I saw the first and never saw the second. So off I was pedaling on #3, the Lighthouse Route....same basic direction but kind of like following a kid's scrawling on some paper vs a nice straight line. But scenic and quiet and a perfect ride. I've decided I actually didn't take a wrong turn, I made the wrong plan. Made me realize that bike touring has a couple of different categories. The first is a  destination ride. All about just getting somewhere. The second is about exploring wherever you are at any moment. I've been doing a destination ride, and trying to pretend it wasn't. My ride this morning was really my first experience exploring. I chatted with a couple of old fishermen. I actually was catching on to their accents by the time we finished. I took off down a couple of side roads to get better looks at harbours and the ocean. Because the road went right along the ocean, the fog was amazing. Just kind of rolling in off the water. It was super cooling, protecting me from the sun (it really was large day without the fog) but not so dense that it was a problem. So, great ride....and then the Lighthouse Route joined up with the 103 for a bit and the destination ride was back on. Hey, if I can make Shelburne, maybe I can go a little farther. There's a Provincial park just 50k up the road. Then I figure the Provincial Park actually takes me out of my way and there is suppose to be a campsite closer to the route up another 15k...and if I get that far then maybe I can get to Halifax on Saturday. Destination ride? No doubt about it. 205k today. Tired but doing surprisingly well. Halifax tomorrow? Definite possibility.
A couple of my distractions today....the first was riding along in explore mode I noticed one of the many ponds or salt flats or whatever you call them along the ocean, draining away from the ocean. Thought that was a little strange. About 10k later the light bulb goes on and you realize it's the tide!!! I was watching my own little tidal bore...not quite the bay of Fundy, but I'm sure that's what it was.
And tomorrow I may see my sister and I may get my bike into MEC for a check-up. That means I'll be getting close to people that I'll have ongoing relationships with. And I'm a little concerned about....well....you know I've been on the road for a week and a half...smell. I think different situations let people put up with different levels of stink. I think long distance bike tourers have a pretty high tolerance. So when you stick a long distance tourer next to not a long distance tourer...well you get the picture. If it's a couple of guys that I can't even understand...no problem....a little embarrassing but not a problem. But my sister, or the MEC people..a bit of a problem. My shower tonight, fully dressed with lots of shampoo and scrubbing, was a nice attempt, but tomorrow will still be a 'stand downwind and at least an arm's length away' day. If my sis is reading this...bring nose plugs and get the car wash soaper hooked up to the hose. You'll need to hit me and all my gear with it before I get past the driveway...maybe before I get past the road.
It really was a large day and a keyboard for a lot of reasons. Glad to be in Canada. Glad to be in friendly Nova Scotia. A fun explore ride really for the first time. And just maybe, Halifax on Saturday!!! Life is good!!!


Sent from my iPad

Comments

  1. Great to hear you had a large day today! Your stories are very entertaining. And do more exploring... it's not every day one heads half way across the continent on a bike trip. Wish I was out there bike touring with you... I'm just a wee bit envious. Wee bit is just another way of saying VERY.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment