Bill the tourist




First small regret. I'm traveling with the Intrepid Traveler sleeping bag. It's a light bag with really no insulation. The temp rating is 15 for one side and 22 I think for the other. Great for warm climates and hostels. I knew the temps I might face could be a degree or two lower than the 15, but took it vs the bigger, heavier 0 degree summer bag.  What you don't count on, or think about how cold and wet you might be before you tuck in for the cold night. That was the case Tuesday night. Wet and cold and 12 degrees. I put on everything I had that was dry including a toque and gloves. With the Intrepid Traveler it was just enough. I was going to say just enough to be comfortable, but I'm not sure what I was, was comfortable. A 0 degree bag would have been very nice.
So, day two out of Halifax. Why did I leave? Supper was noodles....actually really good noodles at the campsite vs beer butt chicken with cranberry orange sauce, potatoes, broccoli with cheese and carrots. Breakfast was oatmeal at the campsite vs bacon and eggs and toast and jam. If there are different degrees of 'nuts', I'm pushing the upper limit. But day 2 was actually pretty cool...as in cool...not temperature. My best exploring day yet. My campsite was reserved at The Ovens campground only about 65k away.....so 3 hours of pedaling. Bill the tourist was born!! Went into Chester and cruised through the town. Looked up a house my running buddy grew up in. Even if it wasn't the right house I found some pretty near places looking for it. Took a slow ride through Mahone Bay. Might have stopped for a snack but Lunenburg  was only 10k away and it was still early. At Lunenburg I walked along the waterfront and along a few of the piers. Looked at all the delis and restaurants with patios looking out over the harbour....and then went and ate at Burger King!! Maybe not such a hot shot tourist yet. But it was Whopper Wednesday. $1 more than Ontario, but still Whopper Wednesday. After Lunenburg it was the Ovens campground. Right along some sea cliffs with some pretty big sea caves. Can't swim into them or really get into them, but still impressive from some of the viewing areas. Next time I'll have a kayak or paddleboard. At my campsite I scrambled down the rocks to the ocean and had a dip in a little cove. And sat in the sun just watching the ocean. Then noodles and soup and potatoes for supper. A pretty good end to a pretty good day. 7:30. Time for bed!! 


Comments

  1. This is where I grew up!!! We are also in NS but have been in Cape Breton for 4 days, flying back to London tomorrow. Sara

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment